Age of cows and buffaloes can be traced from their teeth and curved horns. Cattle teeth are of 3 types:
1. Front teeth
3. Back teeth
• At the time of birth, there are temporary teeth in the lower jaw of the calf. After a week they become 4 and 4 weeks counting reaches to 8.
• After 2 and half year permanent teeth at front come out completely and after 5 years 8 permanent teeth can be seen.
• After 5 years animal’s age can be traced from chipped teeth.
• In the 7th year half teeth get chipped and in 10th year only roots are left.
• From 13th to 16th year only few teeth are left.
• You can also guess the age of animals by spiral shaped horns. At the age of 2 years first curve can be seen in animal horns. After 2 years one more curve can be seen. For example, is there are four curves in the animal’s horns, it can be 5 years old.
For more information about Agriculture and Livestock, download Apni Kheti app –