Honey Bees are very important in our life. Today we are going to tell you about the wondrous information about honeybees:
1. One out of every three bites of food we eat is a result of pollinators like honey bees, and crops like blueberries and cherries are 90 per cent dependent on pollination.
2. Honey bees are so important that farmers often have bee hives transported and then placed on their farm to provide pollination for their crops.
3. 90 different farm-grown foods, including many fruits and nuts, depend on honeybees.
4. But in recent years honeybee populations across the continent have plummeted by as much as 70 percent
Some reasons for decreasing number of Honeybees
1. Increasing use of chemical pesticides and herbicides, which honeybees ingest during their daily pollination rounds.
2. Increase in atmospheric electromagnetic radiation as a result of growing numbers of cell phones and wireless communication towers. The increased radiation given off by such devices may interfere with bees’ ability to navigate.
3. Global Warming may be exaggerating the growth rates of pathogens such as the mites, viruses, and fungi that are known to take their toll on bee colonies.
How can we save Honeybees
1. Plant bee- friendly flowers and flowering herbs in your garden
2. Wildflowers and weeds can also feed honeybees.
3. Do not use pesticides and chemicals to treat your garden and crops.
4. Buy local and raw honey so that the beekeepers will be motivated for their work.
5. Bees are thirsty, put a small basin of fresh water outside your home.
6. Share solutions with others in your community.
For more information about Agriculture and Livestock, download Apni Kheti app –